Profile of the Light Millennium-2009
***Celebrating the 9th
Anniversary with multi-participations
from all walks of life globally...
This is a global multi-media alternative
platform for ALL for Greatness in Humanity...***
9th Anniversary and the 10th Year since
its Introductory Issue
Light Millennium is built on the
first article of the United States
Bill of Rights: Freedom of Speech,
in conjunction with the Universal
Human Rights Article #19, on Freedom
of Expression. It invites citizens
of the world to submit, in an
appropriate artistic medium, ideas
and experiences that will help
foster better understanding and
connections between people of
different cultures and beliefs.
Since January 2000, LM has been
publishing and presenting a diversity
of ideas without censorship through
writings, images and music that
promote the well-being of the
world and its inhabitants.
Light Millennium was introduced
on the web in August 1999 by Bircan
Ãœnver as a global multi-media
platform inviting individuals
to represent themselves and their
communities. In January 2000,
LM brought in multi-volunteer
participation, and was formally
incorporated as a â€œnot-for-profitâ€
organization on July 17, 2001.
Individuals or organizations that
share the same objectives as LM
are encouraged to participate
in our platform as writers, researchers,
editors, activity or event organizers,
and fundraisers. Contributors
range from 7 to 90 years old,
come from all over the world,
and have backgrounds in various
disciplines. LM formally celebrated
its 9th Anniversary on April 30,
2009. However, LM is in its 10th
year since its Introductory issue
(1999), and has upheld the philosophy
that all ideas can stand side
by side as long as we respect
and have tolerance for each other,
and for other ideas, cultures,
LM is a Charitable & Public Benefit
organization and has relied on
100% volunteer work and in-kind
sponsorships gathered for public
events. To this date, LM has been
formed and developed with the
voluntary efforts of its founder,
board members and supporters,
supplemented by four fundraising
The organization has e-published
22 issues of Light Millennium
in English, 19 issues of ISIK
BINYILI in Turkish, 2
issues of Turkish-Greek Synergy
in English and Turkish (a total
of 43 original e-publications
as of December 2009), and since
2000, has organized 55 events including panels, conferences,
lectures, special screenings,
literary readings, poetry events,
story nights, and campaigns (for
Fugen Gulertekin & Tsunami Aid/Sri
Light Millennium TV (â€œLMTVâ€)
series was launched at Queens
Public Television by Bircan Ünver
under the umbrella of the Light
Millennium in January 2000 as
a monthly series; since then 65 original
programs were produced and aired
(the last two programs will be shown in July 2009) under the LMTV at Queens Public Television. Bircan won several
awards for her TV programs. LMTV
broadcasts independent programs
on arts, culture,freedom of expression,
peace and global issues. Further, LMTV sponsored 11 other television programs/documentaries in order to be shown at Queens Public TV. For â€œLMTVâ€
Videography, please see> http://lightmillennium.org/bu_videography.html.
Light Millennium has become
associated with the Department
of Public Information of the United
Nations effective as of December
12, 2005, and member of the Non
Profit Coordination Committee
of New York. The
LM has participated in the 58th,
59th, and 60th United Nations
Annual DPI/NGO (Department of
Public Information of the United
Nations) Conferences. On behalf
of the organization, Bircan has
been a member of the 59th, 60th,
and the 61st of the Planning Committees
of the UN/DPI-NGO Conferences,
and related subcommittees. LM
Vision & Millennium Developments
Goals Through Speaks the Arts program in 2006, and also during
the 2007 Conference, titled "Climate
Change: How It Impacts Us All" at the UN-HQ within the context
of the Conference, titled â€œThe
Wild Cards in Climate Change:
Weather Warfare, Geo-engineering
and ENMOD.â€ http://www.un.org/dpi/ngosection/conference/4_Wild_Cards.htm.
The Light Millennium website
has been visited in over 136 countries
since April 14, 2005. As an open
global alternative platform, over
850 volunteer content contributors
have formed the Light Millennium
since January 2000. Bircan was
awarded as a â€œGlobal Peace
Volunteerâ€ for her efforts
on behalf of the Light Millennium
by the Turkish-American local
newspaper FORUM during
the celebration of its 100th issue
in NYC on October 25, 2008.
Bircan was one of the speakers
at the Inaugural Meeting of the
"7th International Conference
on Peace Non-violence Actionâ€ which is organized by the Anuvrat
Global Organization (ANUVIBHA)
in Jaipur, India from Nov.10 to
14, 2008. At the 7th ICPNA, Bircan
was also the keynote speaker at
the 3rd Plenary Session of the
conference, titled "Culture
of Nonviolence, Shared Cultures
and Universal Culture.â€ Further,
she received the â€œPeace Worker
Awardâ€ from Anuvrat Global
Organization, and also received
â€œHonorary Guestâ€ award
from Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam,
former president of India, and
prominent scientist. During her
very brief trip to India, she
also gave a talk to the students
of the Mass Communications at
the Mangalayatan University in
Aligar. In her speech, Bircan
focused on â€œAlternative Media
and its Potentials.â€ In addition,
Bircan was one of the speakers
of the World March Launching program
at NYC City Hall on December 7,
"What is especially interesting
is that [the Light Millennium]
publishes articles by people with
great experience and provocative
points of view," Professor and
Former New York Times Foreign
Correspondent Stephen Kinzer said to Queens Chronicle newspaper
(March 25, 2004). "Many private
web sites and blogs are filled
with one person's ramblings. Light
Millennium is the opposite of
that. It's an increasingly sophisticated
online magazine that provides
insights that people won't find
in many other places." Dr.
S.L. Gandhi, President of
the Anuvrat Global Organization,
in his e-mail, stated: "We have
invited you as a speaker, and
also as a friend who has contributed
a lot to social excellence and
The Internet is one of the main
platforms for creating global
connections. LM started with a
core audience of Turks and Turkish-Americans
and provided a link to a global
community of thinkers interested
in peace, humanitarian issues,
dialogue and international cooperation.
In recent editions, the audience
has broadened and contributions
are now received from all over
the world. Historically, Turkey
has been a bridge between Europe
and Asia; between Islam and Christianity;
between Democracy and Religion.
Bringing those old Turkish traditions
to the Internet, LM has the potential
to be a bridge for humanity, spreading
the message of peace and tolerance
to all cultures and all countries.
Open Call for Involvement:
Light Millennium aims to expand and diversify its Board of Directors and Advisory Board. If you are interested in being a part of the LM through your ideas, professional, and cultural background, or willing to contribute to the below or newly proposed projects, please contact with:
Bircan Ünver, Executive Producer & Director, E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Azime Aydogmus, General Secretary, E-Mail to: email@example.com
Korcan Yurdacan, Treasurer, E-Mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Light Millennium and the Civil Society Institute together formed the Turkish-Armenian Synergy Initiative.
* Francis Bacon - A Centenary Retrospective: "Humans Are Violent" (Produced May 2009_
* Lightmillennium.org –21st and 22nd issue combined (April, June 2009).
*LMTV: A Young Cellist: Achilles Ecos – A very first solo performance at age 9 (Produced May 2009).
* Panel, Book Discussion, and Book Signing Programs with Adalet Agaoglu for SUMMER’S END, realized on April 28, Princeton University; April 30, Turkish Center & May 1, 2009, New York University.
* A Book Presentation & Signing Program with Ambassador Ann Dismorr for the book TURKEY DECODED. Columbia University, NYC, on Wednesday, Feb. 25, 2009, & Yale University, CT, on Monday, Feb. 23, 2009.
*LMTV: YUNUS EMRE: Contemporary of RUMI with Prof. Talat Halman based on the public program at the Columbia University on October 27, 2008. Shown at QPTV on March 6 & March 23, 2009.
* "Turkey 2010: Girls and Women Rights Revisited" for the International Women's Day. Tentatively during the week March 8, 2010.
* A Poetry Project within the concept of “Mystic Poets from 12th to 20th centuries within “Cultural Diversity & Reconciliation” concept.
* Parade of Faces: Who Speaks for Turkey? With Stephen Kinzer – A 6 parts of documentary in development process.
* A Book Tour with Stephen Kinzer on "Crescent & Star: Turkey between Two Worlds", 2008 Edition. (Depending on sponsorship availability.)
* Open Museum: Highlights from Archeological sites of Turkey – A Lecture by Prof. Samuel PALEY (tentatively Winter 2009)
Highlights from 2008:
* I Dream, Therefore I Am, public program, Dec. 16, 2008, NYC.
* Yunus Emre: Contemporary of RUMI with Prof. Talat Halman, Oct.27, 2008, Columbia University, NYC
* Yahya Kemal Beyatli: On Life, Love & Death, May 2, 2008, Turkish House, NYC.
* LMTV: I Dream, Therefore I Am.. August 18, Dec. 11 and Dec.25, 2008 shown at QPTV.
* LMTV: Rumi: To Unite - That Is Why We Came – March 17 and in May 2008 shown at QPTV.
* Light Millennium formed a Support Group. Coordinator of the Support Group: Hümeyra Kocak, Manager, Finance Sector
* #18nd Issue of the Turkish version of the Light Millennium, ISIKBINYILI.ORG, dedicated to: Leaders for Humanity (Insanlik icin Liderler). Content coordinator of the issue: Fatos Simsek, North Carolina.
* Sanatin Labirentlerinde.. (The Labyrinths of Arts). E-book published on ISIKBINYILI.ORG, in Turkish. Bircan Ünver's compiled surveys and interviews with 52 artists, academician and gallery owners from 1987-1990 in Istanbul among independent essays on life and experiences.
* Department of Public Information
of the United Nations effective
on December 12, 2005.
* Non-Profit Coordination Committee
of New York, February 2008.
* State of New York, Office of the ATTORNEY GENERAL - OAG.STATE.NY.US
* NonProfit Connection
* NonProfit Technical Clinic Assistance
LM-Representatives to the UN/DPI:
* Bircan ÜNVER, Main
* Kurt HEYL, Alternative
* Merve ARABACI, Youth
For the Light Millennium web site's
stats, please see>
For more information, please e-mail to:
- Bircan Ãœnver E-mail: President, Executive Producer
& Director: email@example.com
- Azime Aydogmus, General Secretary, E-Mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Policy of the Light Millennium> http://lightmillennium.org/lm_publishing_policy.html
Web sites: http://lightmillennium.org
- http://isikbinyili.org - http://www.turkishgreeksynergy.net.
-For PDF version of the organization profile>
Updated in December 2009.
Light Millennium, is a 501 (c) (3) Tax Exempt
and Public Benefit Organization & has become associated with the Department of Public
Information of the United Nations effective December
12, 2005, and member of the Non-Profit
Coordination Committee of New York.
Based in Queens, New York - On the Web since August
1999... YOU ARE THE SOUL OF THIS GLOBAL PLATFORM. &
WE ARE FOR THE GREATNESS IN HUMANITY."