Since August 1999, The Light Millennium <http://www.lightmillennium.org>
* Executive Producer and Director
The Light Millennium TV Programs - LMTV since 2000, Queens Public Television, N.Y.
Video Producer, Director and Editor
Since 1992, Queens Public Television,
Produced, directed, edited and presented more than 70 original television programs
both in English and Turkish.
* Freelance Correspondent
1999-Present; Light Millennium, Isik
Binyili, Turkish Times, SanatHaber.Net,
dPaper, Euroturks.com, Portreler...
1990-1993; NY Hurriyet Newspaper and
Hurriyet-Gosteri Art Magazine
* Freelance Correspondent/Art Journalist
1984-1990, For various publications
in Istanbul, Turkey. Including; Nokta,
Sanat Olayi, Soz, Kadin, Sanat Cevresi,
Hurriyet-Gosteri magazines and Cumhuriyet
* Bureau Chief Assistant
- 1976-1983, Former Istanbul Bank, at
the headquarters in Istanbul, Turkey.
in Media Studies
1999, New School University, New York
City, New York.
"All Ideas: Freedom
of Expression in Turkey
.", a video documentary.
BA in Fine Arts
1988, Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University (MSFAU), Department of Traditional Turkish Arts, Istanbul,
Also took additional selected courses in the Department of Art History of the MSFAU which are: Art Criticism, Contemporary Arts, Contemporary Philosophy and Evaluation Criteria of Fine Arts.
Field Production, Queens Public Television, Flushing, New York, Period 1991-1992
Off-Line Editing, Queens Public Television, Flushing, New York, Period 1992
Studio Production, Queens Public Television, Flushing, New York, Period 1992.
Kutsali Yaratmak" (To Create is
the Most Sacred) (1995), Say Publishing
Company, Istanbul, Turkey. Interviews
with artists, commentary on art exhibitions,
and essays, in Turkish. <http://www.saykitap.com/BSWEB/KitapDetay.aspx?kID=97464&kitapAdi_En_Kutsal%C4%B1_Yaratmak>
"Sanatin Labirentlerinde..." (The Labyrinths of Arts) E-Book - http://www.isikbinyili.org/sanatin_labirentleri.php
Founder of The Light Millennium – A Global Multi-Media & Culture Organization. Created, designed, and introduced it on the Web in August 1999, and incorporated as "The Light Millennium, Inc.," as a public benefit "alternative multi-media global platform and culture" organization with the status# 501 (c) (3), effective on July 17, 2001 based in New York. Up to date, e-published 25th original issues in English
and 21 in Turkish with global participations from all the walks of life
and organized 57 EVENTS since 2000.
Applied and accomplished of The Light Millennium’s association with the Department of Public Information of the United Nations effective on of December 12, 2005.
IşıkBinyılı.Org – http://www.isikbinyili.org
Launched the Introductory Issue in August 1999 within the Light Millennium web site. The First issue was published in January 2000. So far, e-published 21 issues in Turkish (first 9 issues were under the Light Millennium's web site), and since October 2005, under the isikbinyili.org. Officially formed as an independent associations based in Istanbul, Turkey on January 20, 2010, and as sister organization with The Light Millennium.
The Light Millennium TV Series/Programs (“LMTV”) at QPTV on channel #34, 35, 56 & 57:
-Launched on January 2000-2007 at QPTV, Flushing, New York in English and also a few programs are in Turkish. 2008-2010, LMTV produced and aired "Special" programs and back to a monthly series again starting in January 2011 on Channel 57. Each program highlights an independent issue such as poetry-literature, arts, artist profiles, UNNGO profiles, and freedom of speech, MDGs, peace and global issues (videography). Produced, provided, and aired (70) original programs to QPTV, and also sponsored for cable-casting (11) other programs under LMTV at QPTV (www.qptv.org). For the LMTV Programs> http://www.lightmillennium.org/lmtv/all.html
“Award of Merit”, in “Arts/Cultural/Performance/Plays” category; awarded by: The Accolade. TV Program: “Francis Bacon: Humans Are Violent”, October 2010.
Peace Worker, November 2008, Awarded by: Anuvrat Global Organization, Jaipur, India.
Honorary Guest, November 2008. Awarded by: Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kamal, Former President of India.
Global Peace Volunteer, October 2008. Awarded by: Turkish-American Forum News Paper, NY.
Distinguished Woman Award in New York, 2004. Awarded by: Daughters of Atatürk Organization, CA.
First Place in "Ethnic" Category, 2004, "Crescent & Star", Presented by Stephen Kinzer. Awarded by: CAPA Video Festival, Flushing, New York.
First Place in "Visual Arts", "Matisse & Picasso at the MoMA", 2004. Awarded by: CAPA Video Festival, Flushing, New York.
Golden Web Award, 2001-2002. "Excellence achieved in Web Design, Content and Creativity." "The Light Millennium Internet Magazine".
First Place in "Arts", 1998. NorthEast Video Festival;
Special Jury Award, 1999. "The Walls of the World", Hometown Video Festival.
Produced, directed, written and edited. Based on Turkish artist Burhan DOGANÇAY's photographic archive from walls of the World, in English. Listed on the ArtNet Catalogue: http://www.artnet.com/usernet/awc/awc_history_view.asp?aid=424600715&info_type_id=11
- Finalist, 1997."Erol AKYAVAS", Hometown Video Festival - Erol AKYAVAS: The Mark of the EastProduced, directed, written, and edited. "Erol Akyavas", a narrative documentary, which profiles Turkish artist Erol Akyavas's arts and his Eastern philosophy, in Turkish.
Hometown Video Festival, 1994. 20th Century Latin American Arts, MoMA (Based on the exhibition).
Permanent Representative of The Light Millennium organization to the Department of Public Information of the United Nations.
Member of the UN/DPI-NGO Annual 59th, 60th and 61st Conference Planning Committees, and member of the Multi-Generational (2006), Media, and Events & Fundraising subcommittees in 2006 & 2007.
Member (2007), Co-Chair (2008) for the UN/NGO Mental Health – Promoting the Well Being of Media annual programs.
Member of the Non-Profit Coordination Committee of New York (2008-2010).
* LECTURES & PUBLIC PRESENTATIONS:
1. 10th Anniversary of The Light Millennium, Power Point Presentation, Baruch College, N.Y.C., June 10, 2010.
2. "2015 & Beyond in Science and Arts II", Baruch College, N.Y.C. May 7, 2010 and also "2015 & Beyond in Science and Arts I", CUNY Graduate Center, N.Y.C., November 1, 2006.
3. Alternative and Public Benefit Media, Marmara University, Communication Faculty, Istanbul (Turkish), Dec.24,2009.
4. Public Access TV & Alternative Media, Eastern Mediterranean University-EMU, Magosa, Cyprus (English), Dec.16, 2009.
5. "I Dream, Therefore I Am", Special Screening, NYC, December 16, 2008.
6. "UN Vision and Millennium Development Goals Speak Through the Arts", United Nations, September 7, 2006.
7. "RUMI: To Unite - That is Why We Came" for the 7th Anniversary of The Light Millennium TV-LMTV at Queens Public TV Studio, August 31, 2007.
8. Narration and Script Writing, Anatolian BIL Occupational School, Bahcelievler, Istanbul, October 2005 – January 2006 (Turkish).
9. A Presentation of The Light Millennium, NYU, Student Activities Center. Organized by ITSS, NYC.
March 8, 2002.
10. On Freedom of Expression and Public Access Television, Mangalayatan University, Aligarh, India, November 14, 2008.
11. Key Note Speaker: Presented “Under The Sun: A Shared Ground & A Shared Future” during the 7th ICPNA, 3rd Plenary Session, Nov. 11, 2008. E-published at the HereNow4u.Net web site in Germany> http://www.herenow4u.net/index.php?id=66824
12. Dignitary and Panelist: Inaugural Meeting, 7th International Non-Violent Peace Activist Conference (7th ICPNA), Jaipur, India, Nov. 10, 2008
13. "A Common Essence of the Internet & Public Television" International Women Day, Panelist, Organized by Turkish American Women Alliance, Turkish House, NYC, March 3, 2001.
14. Short Video Documentaries, Turkish Culture Festival, Turkish Center, NYC. May 4, 2000.
15. On the 20th Century: Nazim Hikmet (Short Documentary), Queens Public TV, Flushing, NY, Jan.13, 2000.
* COLLABORATED INSTITUTIONS & ACTIVITIES:
1. Queens Public Television, Flushing, N.Y.;
General Consulate of Turkey in N.Y.;
Federation of Turkish American Associations, N.Y.;
4. Assembly of Turkish American Associations, W.D.C.;
5. Turkish Culture & Tourism Office in New York;
6. Ankara Library in Toronto, Toronto University, Canada;
7. Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, N.J.;
8. Blue Crescent, Istanbul, Turkey;
International Red Ribbon;
Turkish Cultural Center, New York;
11. City University of New York/CUNY – Graduate Center, N.Y.C.;
Coordination Communication Committee to the United Nations, N.Y.;
New England Turkish American Associations, Connecticut (Presenter);
14. Department of Public Information of the United Nations (2006 and 2007, UN DPI-NGO Conferences);
Peace Action, N.Y.;
Climate Caucus, Connecticut;
General Consulate of Sweden in New York;
Columbia University, N.Y.C.;
New York University, N.Y.C.;
Yale University, N.Y.C.;
Princeton University, N.Y.C.;
22. Baruch College, N.Y.C.;
23. American Turkish Society, N.Y.C.;
24. SETA Foundation of D.C.;
25. Helping Hands, Inc., Texas;
26. United Nations Associations for Haiti;
27. Foundation for the Support of the United Nations
* SUMMARY OF THE PUBLIC PROGRAMS & ACTIVITIES:
Organized, co-organized, collaborated and presented over 57 public programs on poetry, literature, arts, media, climate change and on global issues, and collaborated with various universities, civil society organizations in Manhattan, New Jersey, Queens and also one in Toronto since 2000. Further, organized two programs during the UNDPI-NGO Annual Conferences at the United Nations’ Headquarter in 2006 and 2007. For more information: http://www.lightmillennium.org/events/all.html
* FURTHER REFERENCES:
Turkish Biography of Bircan Ünver
Millennium E-Magazine Convenes A Global
- Queens Chronicle
Profile Queens Public Television - http://qptv.org/qptv/?q=node/545
"We are the Turks" - http://www.wearetheturks.org/?p=103
Camera Arkasi - http://www.kameraarkasi.org/yonetmenler/b/bircanunver.html
Essays by Bircan Ünver in Turkish on OdakSevgi.Net
BİRCAN ÜNVER : "Düşlüyorum, Öyleyse Varım" - http://old.turkishny.com/content/view/14195/629/lang,tr/
Essays, Articles & Selected News by Bircan Ünver on OyTrabzon.Com
Profile on Ekokent.Com/Habitat in Turkish
Yahsi Baraz, Interview by Bircan Ünver, Portreler Magazine - Yaşamdan Portreler / Nisan-Mayıs-Haziran 2006 / Sayı 9
http://www.galeribaraz.com/yahsibaraz/resmisevdirdik.htm (in Turkish)
A Letter From The Future... http://www.xn--mehmetnver-feb.com/pics/bircan-eng.htm
-Join The Light Millennium with $1 as an On-Line member and partner through NYCharities.Org.
LIGHTMILLENNIUM.ORG, Issue#25, Winter 2011....